- Steve Roland "Pre" Prefontaine was an American middle and long-distance runner who competed in the 1972 Olympics
|When did Steve Prefontaine die? / Died||30 May 1975|
Steve Prefontaine facts
- Prefontaine once held the American record in seven different distance track events from the 2,000 meters to the 10,000 meters
- Prefontaine died in May 1975 at the age of 24 in an automobile accident
- The career of Steve Prefontaine, alongside Jim Ryun, Frank Shorter, and Bill Rodgers generated considerable media coverage, which helped inspire the 1970s "running boom"
- Prefontaine was often known for his mustache and his long locks of hair that parted as he ran