- Stephen Michael "Steve" Reich is an American composer who, along with La Monte Young, Terry Riley, and Philip Glass, pioneered minimal music in the mid to late 1960s
|When was Steve Reich born?||03 October 1936|
|How old is Steve Reich in 2018? ||81 years|
Steve Reich facts
- Reich's style of composition influenced many composers and groups
- His innovations include using tape loops to create phasing patterns (for example, his early compositions It's Gonna Rain and Come Out), and the use of simple, audible processes to explore musical concepts (for instance, Pendulum Music and Four Organs)
- These compositions, marked by their use of repetitive figures, slow harmonic rhythm and canons, have significantly influenced contemporary music, especially in the US
- Reich's work took on a darker character in the 1980s with the introduction of historical themes as well as themes from his Jewish heritage, notably the Grammy Award-winning Different Trains
- Writing in The Guardian, music critic Andrew Clements suggested that Reich is one of "a handful of living composers who can legitimately claim to have altered the direction of musical history"
- The American composer and critic Kyle Gann has claimed that Reich "may
- be considered, by general acclamation, America's greatest living composer"